It feels like the year just barely started and now we have just days left before it is over! I am not sure if this is me aging or a general trend, but it sure seems like time escapes before our eyes faster and faster. Anyway, I thought it was a good time to recollect what 2017 has brought us as far as the electric vehicle market is concerned. There’s no way I can recap all that the world has been working on in this area, but these are the news and events that deserve the mention in my opinion.
- Ford is adding electrified F-150, Mustang and Transit to its fleet by 2020.
- China’s EV sales are booming, led by mostly domestic brands such as BYD.
- Norway sets a new record with EVs at 37% of all new cars sold!
- Chevy Bolt sales start ramping up.
- US sales continue to soar.
- 2017 CES “dominated” by autonomous vehicle technology.
- Norway (joined by Netherlands) plans to phase out all fossil fuel cars by 2025.
- Tesla Model 3 prototypes spotted in the wild.
- Hyundai Ionic EV debuts in New York Auto Show.
- Sales of EVs in US are soaring again.
- EV boom is real, even the oil companies agree!
- India’s bold plan to replace all vehicles on the road with electric by 2030.
- G7 pledges to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies by 2025.
- President Trump withdraws US from Paris Climate Agreement
- EU to bypass US government and work with business leaders and state governments instead.
- EV sales in Norway reach 42% of all new cars sold.
- UK and France pledge to end sales of gasoline and Diesel cars by 2040.
- US electric cars’ sales up by 47% in 2017.
- Charging stations to be deployed alongside gas stations in UK.
- China joins the coalition to announce fossil fuels deadline.
- Toyota and Mazda join forces to work on a common EV platform.
- Dyson plans to make electric cars by 2020.
- Another record sales for EVs in China.
- Following World premier of Porsche Mission E, the car is spotted in the wild.
- New 2018 Nissan Leaf reveal and specs.
- National Drive Electric Week events have had a record-breaking attendance.
- Volkswagen is developing an all-electric race car.
- General Motors announces All-Electric Path to Zero Emissions.
- Tesla on its path to deliver 100,000 vehicles in 2017.
- Shell is opening EV charging points at their gas stations in UK.
- Tesla Supercharger network reaches 1000 worldwide.
- Tesla reveals Semi and Next Gen Roadster.
- Chevy Bolt sales increase.
- Tesla invites customers to order Model 3 with delivery in December.
- Numbers of companies preorder Tesla Semi.
- First Model 3 delivered to regular customer (non-employee).
- New delivery center for Model 3.
- Truckloads of Model 3 spotted.
- Record year for Tesla Supercharger network expansion.
- Electric Vehicle Tax Credit is here to stay.
My personal highlights:
- Tesla Model 3 finally available for the customers, despite the production hell.
- China leading EV transformation with its booming adoption rate.
- Number of countries officially declaring a phase out of fossil fuels.
There’s no way of course to capture all the exciting and groundbreaking events that took place throughout the year. I am sure I missed some important milestones and I apologize for that. One thing for sure, 2017 deserves the credit for tipping the scale and making everyone (that counts anyway) realize that this is the future and there’s no escape.
The hype is real at last!