Behind that pretty face there are some mean facts:
- 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds – faster than ANY production car ever (0-100 mph in 4.2 if you care).
- A quarter mile in 8.9 seconds – first production car to go under 9 seconds.
- 620 miles (more than 1000 kilometers) of range at highway speed – first electric car to achieve this,
- 200 kWh battery – the largest capacity in an EV so far,
- 10000 Nm of torque – even Elon calls it “Stupid”,
- 250+ mph maximum speed.
Wow. No, more like WOW! Lucky those who had a chance to experience the crazy acceleration during the event. No wonder everyone flocked immediately to the Roadster once the presentation was complete. It has definitely stolen some of the spotlight from the Semi, but justifiably so.
The intention is clear as well. To quote Mr. Musk again “the point of doing this is to give a hardcore smack down to gasoline cars” and “driving a gasoline sport car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side if quiche”. Touché.
The new generation Roadster will go into production in 2020 and will have a base price tag of $200,000 ($50,000 more for Founders Edition). While most of us can only dream about owning one, quite a few have already placed a reservation (a mere $50,000 for base model). No surprise, as this is going to be faster than ANYTHING currently offered on the market, even among the super-cars that have much higher price tag. It’s all about the bragging rights! Everyone else better get used to this view instead:
What a gorgeous car it is …